Lab Cookery Instructor
The Stratford Chefs School offers an enriched two-year post-secondary program for apprentice chefs. Located in Stratford Ontario, the not-for-profit school’s teaching facilities are located right on Ontario street, in the heart of downtown. Each school year consists of two eight-week semesters, October-December and January-March. Cookery courses are taught by industry professionals; academic courses are taught by experts in related fields.
Job Description: A four-month part-time contract position to supervise first- and second- year students in kitchen positions in the school restaurant one dinner lab per week (the available dinner lab is Wednesday, with Tuesday evening pre-prep). One dinner lab consists of a brief meeting the evening before the dinner followed by up to 5 hours of pre-prep as necessary, and then prep, set-up, service, and clean-down on the day of the dinner itself. Additional responsibilities include working with the student chef to produce an accurate, complete purchase order for all ingredients required for the menu. Students take on all roles in the kitchen (chef, saucier, entremetier, etc.) The instructor must supervise and direct the students to ensure that, in addition to the hard culinary skills of the menu at hand, they learn applied purchasing, the philosophy and mechanics of restaurant service, that the learning environment is safe and productive, and that the dining experience provided to our patrons is top quality.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Stratford Chefs School diploma preferable, or degree or diploma from a culinary program
- Red Seal desirable
- Significant kitchen experience, including ordering and costing
- Teaching and/or mentoring
- Expertise as a chef
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to engage students and provide one-on-one coaching
- Ability to work as part of a team
- High level of professionalism
- Commitment to the students, standards, and values of Stratford Chefs School
Applications consisting of cover letter and resume should be submitted by e-mail no later than October 8, 2022 to: